Wednesday, November 17, 2010

a new perspective on thankfulness

Well, it's been a while since my last post .....I've been loving on my mom and drawing inspiration and amazement from a very courageous woman as she battles Ovarian Cancer.   The same strength , FAITH, and love that she shared in her everyday, NORMAL life, is now carrying my family through a very difficult time.  To be honest, it's been hard to cook and share food when my mom is only able to drink clear broths and juice right now.   It is clear that our celebrations, ourholidays, even our grievings.... are all centered around food and eating.  I always receive such pleasure in sharing food, recipes and new tastes with my mom.  All I can say is that it is just HARD...no words.....
But one day my mom assured me of this, she said, "Lisa I get pleasure from seeing you and the family enjoying meals and having parties like we have always done.  I want you all to enjoy eating and living."   

my precious mom, June Stewart!
I am preparing now, for "the BIG, crazy, fun, amazing family Thanksgiving we will enjoy next week.  My mom's whole family will be coming from all over the US and we will be having 60 people for our special celebration.  It will be our most treasured and memorable Thanksgiving Celebration. ( and we all have a new perspective on the important things of life...family, FAITH, and friends)

I am also going to begin a lot of Holiday cooking and I will share my favorite recipes. 

This is my mom's FAMOUS, most delicious, sweet potato casserole.... ( with a few tweaks from me)


Sweet Potato Casserole with Glazed Pecan Topping



4 cups cooked and slightly mashed sweet potatoes- Use fresh sweet potatoes


1 c. sugar


½ tsp. salt


2 eggs, beaten slightly


¼ c. butter, melted (½ stick)


½ c. whole milk


2 tsp. vanilla extract


Glazed Pecan Topping:


1 c. brown sugar


1/3 c. flour


1 c. coarsely chopped pecans


3 TBSP. melted butter






In large bowl, mix sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, eggs, butter, milk and vanilla on low speed of a mixer until completely blended. I do not whip this mixture.


Place topping ingredients in a medium bowl and mix with wooden spoon until combined. Mixture will be crumbly.


Spray a medium sized casserole dish with non-stick spray. Fill with your sweet potato mixture then add you pecan mixture to the top.


Bake at 350 degrees for 35 min. until topping is slightly browned and casserole is a little bubbly.


Note~ I cook my sweet potatoes at 400 degrees for about 50-1 hour, cool and peel them for use in the casserole. It is usually takes about 6 medium sized sweet potatoes to make 4 cups.



No comments:

Post a Comment